Google
WWW Oaktown Blogger
Oaktown Blogger
Sunday, October 07, 2001
      ( 3:10 PM ) Jackie  

Responding to Attacks OR Clearing the Skies OR Bombing Afghanistan


I was listening to Harriet Lerner talk about her new book "The Dance of Connection" when the KPFA host said in a most conversational voice that we are bombing Afghanistan. I turned on CNN in time to hear the newscaster tell me that The Leader of the Free World would be speaking shortly. That is what he said, not The President or President Bush, but The Leader of the Free World. I couldn't listen to all of his speech but did hear a good part of the press forum with Donald Rumsfeld.

This is the gist of what I heard.



    There are both covert and an overt operations in place.

    I am disinclined to say anything about an operation in progress.

    I am unable (disinclined) to say whether we have any ground troops in Afghanistan.

    This will be fought on many fronts. I am unable (disinclined) to say whether we will be bombing the crap out of any other countries.

    We are targetting military installations and clearing the skies. No, the Taliban does not have an airforce.

    This is a humanitarian as well as a military operation.

    Yes, we are dropping pamphlets.

    No, I don't know whether we have yet begun dropping the humanitarian aid.

    Yes, we have improved the methods of dropping said aid from high altitudes. We have been testing these new methods. No, I cannot say what these methods are.

    No, the people who attempt to obtain the humanitarian aid we are dropping are not in any danger of being harmed.



Fortunately for my sanity, the electricity went out at that point and has just come on again.

This has hit me very hard. I think I let myself hope that "the Allies" wouldn't do this stupid thing. I am normally more realistic, or cynical so the crash was pretty hard.


But what we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope.
George Eliot


I have a drum rehearsal at 4pm but am disinclined to go and prefer to go to the demonstration at Powell and Market in SF instead.

But being disinclined to make decisions at this moment, I'm not sure what I'll do.

Monday


As I was writing this yesterday, my friend Annette came to pick me up for rehearsal. So I didn't have to make any decisions. It was a good place to be.

I slept late this morning -- one of my best coping methods -- and then made some chili. The chili is cooking now and smells great. I seem to be cooking more these days. That's in part because since I was layed off I have more time and less money. But it's also a comfort thing.

There's a demonstration at UC Berkeley now, and a student walkout. Tonight at 5pm there's a demonstration which I'll attend.

email me

Link this!
email me
0 comments




Comments: Post a Comment
archives:




Words and photos from Jackie in Oakland, CA. More I cannot tell you ... I won't know what it is until I do it.

Powered by Blogger