Google
WWW Oaktown Blogger
Oaktown Blogger
Wednesday, November 21, 2001
      ( 7:15 PM ) Jackie  

A Birthday present for Choire


There are many things I've done that are embarrasing and of which I am ashamed. This one still looms large for me, probably because it was my first experience of shame about something I had control over.

When I was in second grade I went to St. Anastasia Catholic School in Waukegan, IL. In order to get there my sister and I walked down Park Avenue to Camp Logan Road. There we turned right and walked up the hill to Sheridan Road. We crossed Sheridan Road, a very busy road. The place we crossed was close to where my father was killed. Once across the street we took the bus, which cost 20 cents.

In the winter I had little mittens with a string through the arms of my coat. I kept my bus fare in my mitten.

Once we climbed onto the bus, we put our fare into a box where it jangled down into the bottom. One morning I put only 18 cents in the box and kept the remaining two cents in my mitten. When I got to school I put the money in my coat pocket. After school I bought candy with the money.

This worked so well that the next day I did the same thing. This time the bus driver stopped me and told me I hadn't put enough money in the box. He asked if I still had it in my mitten.

It may be hard to believe that this was horribly embarassing and that I was filled with shame. But that's the truth. I stole money, I bought stuff I wasn't supposed to, and I stole again. Getting caught and having to admit my sins not only in confession but in front of everyone on the bus was terrible.

Happy Birthday, Choire!

Link this!
email me
0 comments




Comments: Post a Comment
archives:




Words and photos from Jackie in Oakland, CA. More I cannot tell you ... I won't know what it is until I do it.

Powered by Blogger