Google
WWW Oaktown Blogger
Oaktown Blogger
Thursday, March 07, 2002
      ( 2:39 PM ) Jackie  

kauhale


I had a wonderful last day in Maui on Monday, kayaking and snorkeling from La Perouse. I slept in my car the night before in order to be on time for the 7am trip. Though it was a little "cozy", it was also lovely to watch the stars and hear the ocean. As night fell, the sky became more and more intense. The moon was about half and covered by clouds, so the clear areas were saturated with stars.

From the stars to the fishies in the sea! I had no idea there could be so many kinds and colors of fishes in a small area. We kayaked to two places, "The Fishbowl" and "The Aquarium". Our party was only three "guests" and the guide and for some reason no one else was at these popular locations when we arrived. The sea was very calm when we set out and we could see clearly to the bottom. And then on with our masks and into another world.

The wind came up as we finished and the kayaking back to the bay was rather exciting. Amazing how a storm can focus one's paddling! I have strong arms from drumming, but the kayaking used some muscles that may have been dormant for a while. I really loved it and will do some kayaking in the beautiful spots around the Bay Area. I've been interested in going to Tomales Bay. for a while and now feel confident that I can handle it.

I mailed most of my gifts from Paia on Tuesday, so I had a shot at getting everything home. I stayed Monday night at Northshore Hostel in Wailuku, which worked out very well, after the young drunk boys stopped fist fighting in the hallway. The bed was comfortable and clean, the water was hot, the people were nice, and it was close to the airport. And cheap : ) There were also strong young men to help me lift my drum -- filled with towels, sleeping bag, and assorted dirty clothing -- into the drum case, and later into my car. Yes, one of the things I've learned is to ask for help. It's a beautiful thing!

My flight home was comfy. The airline gave me two seats, a perk of having flown over half a million miles with them, and I slept comfortably most of the way home.

My dear neighbors house sat for me and left clean sheets on the bed. That is soooo thoughtful. Mahalo and much aloha to them for such thoughtfulness.

I've been doing laundry, getting film developed, and sleeping a lot. Now I'm looking forward to tonight's drum class at Luna Sea. And then back to sorting through those hundreds of photos.

It's good to be home!

Link this!
email me
0 comments




Comments: Post a Comment
archives:




Words and photos from Jackie in Oakland, CA. More I cannot tell you ... I won't know what it is until I do it.

Powered by Blogger