Google
WWW Oaktown Blogger
Oaktown Blogger
Wednesday, March 13, 2002
      ( 9:17 AM ) Jackie  

Roots?


When my sister Susan went through Mom's papers she found a couple of interesting things that were surprises to us. There was the paper documenting my father's release from prison (armed robbery) for one thing. This little incident had never been mentioned by anyone in the family, so it was a bit of a surprise -- and explained a few things.

But I digress. One of the other interesting papers was a certificate from the United States thanking my grandfather for his work on the atomic bomb. Hah! We lived in Oak Ridge, Tennessee when I was very little, probably in 1943-44, based on the history of the plants in Oakridge. In fact, that's where I learned to talk, which along with my dark brown skin was a great source of amusement when we moved up North. I don't know if my father worked on the bomb. There was no paper for him, and since he was a convicted felon, I'm guessing not.

Both my father and grandfather were sheet-metal workers, not scientists and were no doubt among the 22,000 workers working on physical infrastructure needed for the uranium separation process in Oak Ridge.

This all came to mind the other day when I learned that bomb-building is an ongoing industry in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. There is going to be a demonstration there in mid-April and we are all invited.

Seems to me it would complete the circle of irony if I were to return to my Tennessee roots for this event. I'm thinking about it. Maybe another road trip with Sasha.....


Link this!
email me
0 comments




Comments: Post a Comment
archives:




Words and photos from Jackie in Oakland, CA. More I cannot tell you ... I won't know what it is until I do it.

Powered by Blogger