Google
WWW Oaktown Blogger
Oaktown Blogger
Wednesday, September 18, 2002
      ( 12:01 AM ) Jackie  

Procrastination


They've got me again, those ol' pro-crastination blues. I have a task to do, writing up a proposal on Risk Management for PUEBLO to present to members of the Oakland city council finance committee. It's not all that hard. I've done my homework. I know what to say. I'm a good writer.

But, but....I just haven't been able to do it. Today I finally sat down at my desk and got out some of the relevant documents. And I even wrote a little bit. I have a support person and a colleague/cheerleader. But... but...

I understand now that I use the tool of structured procrastination. That's the technique of doing things lower on your priorities while you avoid your top priority. I like it that it is another philosopher who outlines this technique. Well, actually, my procrastination isn't all that structured since I keep my to do lists in my head and am easily distracted, especially while surfing the web.

Why, just today I have done an amazing amount of research on public policy, with focus on community oversight of police. Indeed, as I write I am printing out another key policy article. I recently joined the mailing list of the National Association for Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement (NACOLE) This is a great resource. Unfortunately, today it led me to several other terrific resources, the Police Assessment Resource Center's (PARC) and the Vera Institute of Justice. So if you want to know how the consent decree worked out in Pittsburgh or to get a copy of the 15th semi-annual report on the LA Sherrif's Department, you can do it. It's very satisfying to know that all this good work is being done throughout the U.S. and indeed internationally.

Anyway, while my proposal isn't near where it should be, I am gaining significant expertise in some areas of public policy through my unstructured procrastination. And you know what, it actually can help with the main task. In this case, the report on LA has two key sections that relate to Risk Management and will be useful in establishing some of the points I am making. Life is good!


I also talked to the Executive Director of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT) about what I will need to do to re-register as a MFT intern. I then went to the website for the California Board of Behavior Sciences and printed out the application. I'lll fill it out later.

And I sent an email to another colleague about working on a website for a nonprofit, for a reduced fee of course.

I searched for jobs with the City of Oakland, and found a good one. I printed out the job description and questionnaire. I'll fill it out later. I also talked with some former colleagues, of whom I am quite fond, about a potential job opportunity. Ooops! I was supposed to send my resume this afternoon. Sigh! Better go do it now.

Are you, too, a procrastinator? To find out, you can take this test. Yeah, like you'd need to take a test to find out!

Link this!
email me
0 comments




Comments: Post a Comment
archives:




Words and photos from Jackie in Oakland, CA. More I cannot tell you ... I won't know what it is until I do it.

Powered by Blogger