Google
WWW Oaktown Blogger
Oaktown Blogger
Saturday, September 27, 2003
      ( 12:59 AM ) Jackie  

Gender, Schmender


Doodling around on the web this evening I came upon the Gender Genie. Based on a writing sample, the Gender Genie will determine whether you are male or female.

I submitted three blogs.
First blog
Little Things Mean a Lot

Score:
Female Score: 701
Male Score: 659
Female

Second blog
Bush statement - no link between Iraq and the 9/11 attacks -relegated to page 5 of Oakland Tribune

Score:Female Score: 211
Male Score: 761
Male

Third blog
Is the (California Governor) Recall a Right Wing Plot?

Score: Female Score: 427
Male Score: 1161
Male

These were all fairly short blogs so I checked out the tool on a chapter of detective fiction that I've been working on. This was written several years ago.

Score:
Female Score: 4760
Male Score: 4375
Female

Now I'm hooked. So I thought I'd check out a couple of chapters from last years novel written for National Novel Writing Month.

Score:
Female Score: 1643
Male Score: 1729
Male

That surprised me as the chapter I selected was rather gentle in tone. So I tried a couple of longer chapters.

Score:
Female Score: 4678
Male Score: 6461
Male

The tool asks you to state your actual gender and makes a comment on the results. The comment on this one was "That is one butch chick."

I decided to check a chapter with a lesbian sex scene

Score:
Female Score: 5100
Male Score: 4398
female

It turns out that this tool is not about the content of the passage being checked or even the "content words". The analysis gives lists of "female" and "male" words. For example, "the" is a male word and 'be" is a female word.

I'm not sure what to make of this. And it's too late at night/early in the morning to think about it!








Link this!
email me
0 comments




Comments: Post a Comment
archives:




Words and photos from Jackie in Oakland, CA. More I cannot tell you ... I won't know what it is until I do it.

Powered by Blogger