Google
WWW Oaktown Blogger
Oaktown Blogger
Tuesday, February 01, 2005
      ( 9:48 AM ) Jackie  

Ah Freedom!



Call me crazy, but I was thinking that in a "free and fair election" voters would know for whom they are voting.

But this "election" in Iraq has given a whole new meaning to "Secret Ballot". It used to mean that a voter has the right of privacy and no one can know for whom she voted.

In Iraq, it means that the slate of actual candidates is "Secret" for their protection. And according to the article referenced below, it was secret even to some candidates that they were on the ballot. Oh MY! Even George Orwell didn't think of that!

Here is comment by Juan Cole who has studied this so-called election:

"The Iraqis did not know the names of the candidates for whom they were supposedly voting. What kind of an election is anonymous! There were even some angry politicians late last week who found out they had been included on lists without their permission. Al-Zaman compared the election process to buying fruit wholesale and sight unseen. (This is the part of the process that I called a "joke," and I stand by that.)"

Link this!
email me
0 comments




Comments: Post a Comment
archives:




Words and photos from Jackie in Oakland, CA. More I cannot tell you ... I won't know what it is until I do it.

Powered by Blogger